Thursday, July 06, 2006

Perspective

It's funny how one's perspective changes, isn't it? When I was healthy and working and busy all the time, I barely noticed anything much that happened outside of my narrow focus. I didn't notice birds or flowers or any of that 'superfluous' stuff. I always wore a watch and knew what time it was, because I had meetings to attend or places to be at certain times, and I always, always, ALWAYS knew the date. Now? It is to laugh!

I can't remember the last time I wore a watch on any regular basis. After all, who cares what time it is when one has no obligations (other than an occasional doctor's appointment) during the day? I'm always having to ask someone what the date is if I find myself writing a check in a store (not that I do that too often, thanks to an ATM card). I'm always a little embarrassed to admit that I have no idea what the date is (and there are even times I can't remember what DAY it is, either). Gack.

But I do notice the hummingbirds at the feeder outside the sunroom window, and each and every new plant that flowers in our yard. I notice birds, too, since we have about a dozen varieties that visit our various bird feeders on a semi-regular basis, and I'm almost able to tell the difference between a house finch and a purple finch (which is actually red - do NOT ask me why they're called 'purple').

As I think about it, trading awareness of my calendar for flowers and birds seems a more than equal trade....


1 comment:

Cam said...

I completely agree with your finch observation. They are not purple! So, the name makes no sense...but we do have the house finch variety around here. And, we're planting more and more that hummers and butterflies enjoy...thanks for sharing this!